As this Christmas season rolled around I decided I just wasn't going to make the kids anything. It was too much time and effort. But as I've watched my daughter, Ellie, work so hard over the last few weeks sewing and knitting gifts for people I knew I needed to make something. It is her love language. So I started praying about what to make because God knows I need help in this area. :)
Earlier this week we discovered a local store called Scrap that has a ton of used craft supplies for really cheap. I saw a tub of mismatched puzzle pieces for .25 cents a bag. However, I remembered we have a TON of old puzzles the kids never use. When we got home I pulled out a few princess puzzles and got to looking on Pinterest for ideas on repurposing these puzzles. I saw things like spray painting them and gluing them to a letter shape, or making a heart out of them on a canvas or gluing them around a picture frame. While these things were cool they just weren't clicking with what I was looking for. This might sound silly but I truly believe God dropped this idea on my heart of painting a piece for each of our family members that would connect together. One thing lead to the next and before I know it I had created this masterpiece that I will cherish forever(and I hope my kids do too).
Here's what you need:
- an old puzzle(just put it together first to make sure you paint the pieces that fit together)
- paint & brushes(I just used what I had on hand but the color schemes, drawings & words are endless)
- a word or image you want to be the central theme of your masterpiece
How to make it:
- After you've determined the pieces you will use simply paint both sides a solid color. I did a brush but you could spray paint(I just didn't have any on hand)
- Once that is dry paint whatever your design is on one side.
- On the other side write the names or initial of the people whose piece is part of the puzzle
- Hole punch the top of those pieces and string them on a necklace(I used colored rope but any string would work)
I used 9 pieces because we have 5 people in our family(plus 1 baby who is in heaven). And I felt the Lord tell me to put God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit in the center. The kids will each get a necklace with a puzzle piece(as shown in top 2 photos below).
Here are the 2 key points the Holy Spirit lead me to discuss with my kids about this creation:
1. Our family is held together by God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Without the trinity working in our lives we will fall apart.
2. We each look different and have different qualities and talents. Yet the puzzle is not complete when one piece is missing. We must all embrace who we are and know we are valued and loved.
This project is super simple, cheap and fun. I hope you try it out for your family! I have a feeling my kids will want to do one of their own. :)